What to do When You Have a Car Accident
If you have been injured in a car accident in Massachusetts, you should take immediate action to get medical treatment and to protect your rights:
- If you are injured, get medical attention promptly. Wait for emergency assistance if you require an ambulance. A clear medical history is very important to the case. Provide ambulance personnel with the history of how the accident occurred. Also provide the medical staff in the hospital or your doctor’s office with an accurate history of the car accident and all of the body parts which are causing pain.
- If you are able to do this at the scene: Obtain as much information as possible about the vehicles involved in the car accident and the driver’s name, address and license number, as well as the owner’s name and address, including their insurance company and coverage information.
- Take pictures. This is the fastest way to record the license plate, the registration and the driver’s license of the other operator or operators. Also take pictures of the vehicles involved in the positions they were in right after the accident. However, do not put yourself at further risk of injury by standing in any dangerous place. If there are any defects in the road or other things that may have caused or contribute to the accident, take pictures of those things.
- Make note of the direction and position of the vehicles. Also document other details, such as the weather at the time of the car accident, the time of day and names, phone numbers and addresses of any witnesses.
- Make the police aware of any traffic violations the other operator committed.
- As soon as possible, notify own your insurance agent or insurance company about the car crash. You have a duty to cooperate with your insurance company, but remember, the insurance company may have interests which are adverse to yours.
- When you contact your insurance company, you will want to let them know you will be making claims for Personal Injury Protection, Medical Payments, and Underinsured or Uninsured Motorist benefits. The insurance company will send you forms.
- Contact a Boston car accident attorney promptly to determine your rights. You should not offer statements to insurance company representatives or investigators without first understanding your rights and talking to an attorney.
Our firm is fully familiar with the handling of car accident and motor vehicle cases. We handle all of the no-fault benefits at no charge to you. Our fee is taken on the recovery from the at-fault driver’s insurance company, or your own company if the claim involves uninsured or underinsured benefits.
Our firm is also recognized for its prompt and thorough handling of these kinds of cases. Our attorneys have long been recognized as Massachusetts and New England Super Lawyers, and have top ratings from Martindale-Hubbell and Avvo. We have hundreds of satisfied clients as reflected in our stellar reviews and the videos on this website.
Consultation with our lawyers is always free. You will always speak with a lawyer when you call our office for the evaluation of your case.
The Boston, Massachusetts car accident lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck have over 100 years combined experience handling car accidents, bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents. If you have been injured in a car accident, your legal rights need to be protected. Contact us today for a free legal consultation at 617-723-7676 or use our contact form.