What to Do When You Have a Car Accident
If you have been injured in a car accident in Massachusetts, you should take immediate action to protect your rights:
- Obtain as much information as possible about the vehicles involved in the car accident and the driver’s name, address and license number, as well as the owner’s name and address, including their insurance company and coverage information.
- Make note of the direction and position of the vehicles. Also document other details, such as the weather at the time of the car accident, the time of day and names, phone numbers and addresses of any witnesses.
- Make the police aware of any traffic violations the other operator committed.
- If you are injured, get medical attention promptly. Provide the medical staff an accurate history of the car accident and all of the body parts which are causing pain.
- As soon as possible, notify own your insurance agent or insurance company about the car crash. You have a duty to cooperate with your insurance company, but remember, the insurance company may have interests which are adverse to yours.
- It is also a very good idea to obtain photographs of all vehicles involved, as well as visible injuries and location of the accident, including any roadway defects or faulty traffic signals.
- Contact a Boston car accident attorney promptly to determine your rights. You should not offer statements to insurance company representatives or investigators without first understanding your rights.
The Boston, Massachusetts car accident lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck have over 80 years combined experience handling car accidents, bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents. If you have been injured in a car accident, your legal rights need to be protected. Contact us today for a free legal consultation at 617-723-7676 or use our contact form.