Motor Vehicle Accidents

Choose a Qualified Massachusetts Car Accident Lawyer

The lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck, P.C., are experienced at handling car and other motor vehicle accident claims and cases in the Boston region. We have successfully handled complex cases from the insurance claims level through trial and appeal.

Determining who was at fault in an auto accident means figuring out who was negligent, and thus responsible for causing the accident. Failure to use reasonable care while operating a motor vehicle constitutes negligence. A finding of negligence is often based on:

Auto accidents caused by drunk drivers may also lead to claims against bars for dram shop violations. Collisions caused by hit and run drivers can still lead to claims, even if the driver of the car who caused the crash is not identified.

Car accidents can also result from faulty construction of roads, tunnels, embankments, exits, and lighting. If the roadway is defectively designed or improperly constructed, the designers or builders may be liable for the personal injuries they cause. Builders can also be responsible for construction accidents to drivers, including roadway debris, inadequate safety, improper road markings, and loose construction materials.

While car crashes comprise a significant portion of personal injury and wrongful death claims, it would be wrong to think that they are always simple to resolve. They often involve extremely complex issues of evidence and insurance law, which is what the lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck, P.C. specialize in. Click here to view some of our Case Results.

If you have been injured in a car, truck, tractor trailer, motorcycle or other motor vehicle accident as a driver, passenger, bicyclist or pedestrian, and it was the result of someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to recover monetary damages for pain and suffering, payment or reimbursement of reasonable medical expenses incurred or which will be incurred in the future, and lost wages.

Brief Introduction to Massachusetts Insurance Law. What's Covered?

Medical Bills:
In general, the first $2,000.00 in medical bills is paid by the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance carrier of the car you were in or hit by if you were a pedestrian or a bicyclist. If you have private health care insurance, Massachusetts Law requires that medical bills in excess of $2,000.00 be submitted through your provider for payment. If you do not have private health care insurance, or if your health care insurance company refuses to pay your medical bills, you may be entitled to up to $8,000.00 in PIP medical coverage.

Lost Wages: If you lose money because of your inability to work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to collect 75% of your lost wages, based on your average weekly wage, from the PIP carrier, up to $8,000.00.

Bodily Injuries and Wrongful Death: If you have more than $2,000 in medical bills, a fracture, or other serious injury, you may be entitled to compensation for injuries, including scarring, pain and suffering, permanent or partial disability, and loss of ability to enjoy life. Wrongful death claims are also compensable under Massachusetts motor vehicle laws.

Insufficient Insurance: If the person who caused your injuries does not have insurance, or inadequate insurance to cover your damages, you may be entitled to collect uninsured or underinsured coverage from your own automobile policy or a family member's automobile policy.

What to Do When You Have a Car Accident
If you have been involved in an automobile accident, or injured as a pedestrian:

  • Obtain as much information as possible about the vehicles involved, as well as names, addresses and telephone numbers for drivers.
  • Request the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses.

  • Make sure police are aware of any traffic violations that the operator may have committed.
  • If you are injured, get medical attention as soon as possible.
  • Promptly notify your insurance company about the accident.

  • Obtain photographs of vehicles, injuries and accident location.

  • Contact a lawyer promptly to determine your legal rights.

For a more detailed list, please see our What to Do When You Have a Car Accident page.

Choosing a Massachusetts Car Accident Lawyer
Your legal rights need to be protected after a car accident. You should hire an experienced car accident attorney to evaluate and handle your case. Immediate action may be required to preserve all of your rights. All motor vehicle accidents in Massachusetts are governed by a Statute of Limitations. Some accidents also have shorter notice provisions which may be very strict.

For more information on selecting a Massachusetts car accident lawyer, please see our page on Choosing a Massachusetts Personal Injury Lawyer. Read more about truck accidents on our Massachusetts Truck Accident Lawyer page.

Our Car and Truck Accident Case Reports describe some of the many of the motor vehicle accident cases we have successfully handled on behalf of our Massachusetts clients.

If you feel you have a car accident case, it is vital that you act immediately to protect your rights. Please call us at 617-723-7676, or toll free at 1-800-379-1244, or use our contact form to send us an e-mail. Get your free legal consultation today with Breakstone, White & Gluck, P.C.

Finally, make sure you are protected! Have adequate insurance for yourself and your family. Learn more about buying automobile insurance at our web page on Understanding and Buying Massachusetts Car Accident Insurance.

The Boston car and motor vehicle accident law firm of Breakstone, White & Gluck handles car accident cases occurring in Boston, Brockton, Brookline, Cambridge, Chicopee, Fall River, Framingham, Haverhill, Lowell, Lynn, Malden, Medford, New Bedford, Newton, Quincy, Springfield, Somerville, Taunton, Waltham, Worcester, Charlestown, Pittsfield, Dedham, Everett, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Lexington, Needham, Plymouth, Roxbury, Salem, South Boston, Walpole, Watertown, West Roxbury and surrounding areas. The firm handles cases in Suffolk County, Middlesex County, Essex County, Norfolk County, Plymouth County, Barnstable County, Worcester County, Hampden County, Hampshire County, Berkshire County.We handle cases occurring on all major highways, including the Massachusetts Turnpike (Mass Pike), I-90, Rte 128, Rte 93, and Route 3.