Escalator and Elevator Accidents
Choosing a Qualified Massachusetts Elevator and Escalator Accident Lawyer
Massachusetts has thousands of elevators and escalators in public and private buildings. Each year these machines are required to be inspected for safety, and several state regulations govern their design and maintenance. Despite these safeguards, each year hundreds of people are injured on defectively designed, inadequately inspected, or poorly maintained elevators and escalators. Some accidents result in wrongful deaths.
The attorneys at Breakstone, White & Gluck, P.C., have over 85 years combined experience handling catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases, including cases occurring on escalators and elevators throughout Massachusetts.
There are several causes of escalator accidents, but most are caused by some common defects:
- Improper installation, including missing parts and side panels
- Sudden stops
- Loose or missing parts, such as the metal teeth known as "comb plates"
- Inadequate maintenance
- Side entrapment involving soft shoes such as Crocs
Common Causes of Elevator Accidents
Most elevator accidents result from a few common causes:
- Elevator falls or drops
- Improper door movements or defective safety strips on doors
- Car landing incorrectly, either above or below designated floor
- Improper design
- Improper maintenance
What You Should Do If You Are Involved in an Elevator or Escalator Accident
Of course, the most important thing to do after an accident is to seek immediate medical care for any injuries. The owner of the property should be immediately notified of the incident. The incident should be reported to the Department of Public Safety (DPS). The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency has a hot-line for elevator and escalator accidents and will coordinate the reporting to the DPS. The number is 508-820-1444.
It is important to promptly hire a qualified and experienced elevator and escalator accident attorney. Your attorney will undertake a prompt factual investigation, identify and contact witnesses, preserve essential evidence, and make claims and notify insurance companies.
Hire an Experienced Elevator and Escalator Accident Lawyer
The lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck have over 85 years experience handling complex personal injury and wrongful death cases, including complex escalator and elevator accident cases. Our firm has the experience, the knowledge and the resources to best handle any elevator or escalator accident case resulting in personal injury or wrongful death.
Initial consultation with our firm is always free, and our cases are handled on a contingent fee basis. Please call our toll free number at 800-379-1244, or use one of our contact forms.
We look forward to representing you on your case.
- Law Firm of Breakstone, White & Gluck Donates Bike Lights for Boston Bikes' #BeBrilliant Campaign Breakstone, White & Gluck recently donated bike lights for the Boston Bikes' #BeBrilliant campaign. Boston Bikes surprised cyclists during their ....
- Halloween Safety: Trick-or-Treat Safety Tips Many of us are looking forward to the ghosts, goblins and treats of Halloween this weekend. But while a lot of fun, Halloween is also one of the most ....
- Breakstone, White & Gluck Attorneys Named to Top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers List Our partners, Marc L. Breakstone, David W. White and Ronald E. Gluck, have been selected to various 2015 Massachusetts Super Lawyers lists, for their ....