Choose An Experienced Massachusetts Bus Accident LawyerBuses, including school buses, mass transit buses and city bus lines such as the MBTA, BAT, WRTA, MVRTA, CCRTA, private charter buses and tour buses transport millions of passengers each year in Massachusetts and in the United States. Unfortunately, bus accidents result in thousands of personal injuries and hundreds of wrongful deaths in Massachusetts and across the United States each year.
Bus accidents are caused by a number of factors, including the weather, operator error, speed, driver fatigue, intoxication and maintenance violations.
Like subways and trains, buses are considered common carriers. As such, they are held to a heightened liability standard. If you are injured because of the negligence of a bus operator, the company may be liable for your injuries.
The personal injury lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck of Boston are experienced at representing individuals injured in transportation accidents involving the MBTA and other bus companies. If you have been involved in a bus accident, we have the skills, expertise and resources to handle your case.
Visit our Case Results page to learn more about our work in transportation cases. These cases and video highlight our experience:
MBTA Bus Runs Over Pedestrian, $7,100,000 See our trial court video
Truck Accident Causing Plaintiff Serious Orthopedic Injuries, $3,000,000
Truck Collides with Car Causing Plaintiff Multiple Injuries and Surgeries, $2,500,000
Types of Bus Accidents We Handle
- Bus rollover
- Pedestrian struck by bus
- Bus collisions with other motor vehicles
- Improper turning
- Equipment failure or manufacturing defect in the bus
- Operator error
- Fatigue causing bus accident
- Distracted bus driver (cell phones and text messaging)
Bus accidents result from poor weather conditions, operator error, failure to maintain the bus and defective design. Of these reasons, the majority result from operator error and failure to maintain buses.
Bus companies have a duty to ensure drivers are properly trained and know how to properly handle the equipment. Bus companies have a responsibility to make sure their drivers are properly rested and are not fatigued from excessive hours on the road. Bus companies have a further obligation to properly maintain vehicles and document the maintenance work.
Drivers have a responsibility to keep their attention on the road and follow safety guidelines, even if they get behind schedule. They have a responsibility not to engage in distracting activities, such as talking on cell phones and texting while driving.
Failure of bus companies and individual drivers to carry out these responsibilities is negligence on behalf of the bus company.
Injuries and Damages
When a bus overturns on a highway or collides with another vehicle, it is likely that there will be wrongful death or personal injuries. These injuries may include head trauma, lacerations, broken bones and internal injuries. These injuries may prevent passengers from returning to work, in some cases for several months or years. Passengers may also suffer debilitating emotional trauma.
An experienced bus accident lawyer can file a claim on behalf of you or your family for wrongful death or personal injuries. In injury cases, you may be entitled to damages for lost wages, pain and suffering and punitive damages. In wrongful death cases, you may be entitled to loss of income, loss of companionship, loss of support and punitive damages.
Who is Liable
Bus and motor coach companies, maintenance companies and design and engineering firms and others may be liable. Bus companies typically have insurance policies which are capable of compensating bus accident victims.
What To Do If You've Been Injured in a Bus Accident
First, seek appropriate medical treatment. Then, contact an experienced Massachusetts bus accident lawyer who can preserve your rights. All accident cases are governed by the Statute of Limitations, and when municipal carriers are involved, there is likely a shorter period for the required statutory notice.
In bus accident cases, it is important to preserve evidence while it is still fresh and to stay informed about what evidence has been gathered by local, state and federal authorities. An experienced bus accident lawyer will promptly contact officials and launch his or her own investigation.
The Boston bus accident lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck have the experience, expertise and resources to obtain the best results for you. If you have been injured in a bus accident, please call us today for a free consultation. We can be reached at 617-723-7676 or toll free at 800-379-1244 or use our online form.
Municipal and Other Public Carriers in Massachusetts (Partial List)
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority - MBTA
- Brockton Area Transportation Authority - BAT
- Southeastern Regional Transportation Authority - SRTA
- Pioneer Valley Transportation Authority - PVTA
- Worcester Regional Transit Authority - WRTA
- Lowell Regional Transit Authority - LRTA
- Merrimack Regional Transportation Authority - MVRTA
- Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority - CCRTA
- Breakstone, White & Gluck's Project KidSafe Donates 400 Bicycle Helmets to Somerville Public Schools Breakstone, White & Gluck recently joined the fifth graders at West Somerville Neighborhood School as they graduated from the CYCLE Kids program. ....
- Attorney Marc L. Breakstone Says Clients Feel Former New England Patriots Player Brandon Spikes "Got Off Lightly" With Probation Click here to view the interview on WCVB. Former New England Patriots player Brandon Spikes pled guilty yesterday to criminal charges in the ....
- Our Project KidSafe Campaign Continues in Arlington, Cambridge and Ashland Breakstone, White & Gluck's Project KidSafe campaign recently donated bicycle helmets in Arlington, Cambridge and Ashland. This has been our ....